Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Short Trip to Utah!!!

Last Thursday morning we stared our trip up to Provo so that Aaron could go to the Temple on Friday night with his brother Collin. And so that Saturday morning Aaron could do a bike race with my brothers.

The drive was beautiful until Monticello, the fields were filled with tons of sunflowers, it was so pretty. When we got to Monticello it started to rain really hard, it was crazy, I have never seen it rain that hard in my life. My Dad drove my Mom to Cresent Junction, so that she could come and spend the weekend helping with the Grandchildren, celebrate my brother Jordan's Birthday with him, and watch my brothers and Aaron ride their bikes in the race. When we got to Price a man told us that the pass between there and Provo was closed due to mudslides and that it would be closed for the next five hours, so we thought that we would go through Indian Canyon which would only add a hour to an hour and a half, but then when we got to that turn off it was also closed because of the rain and mudslides. Indian Canyon was not supposed to be closed as long so we decided to wait it out and have a little dinner, since we wouldn't make it in time for my brothers Birthday party anyway. We ended up having some dinner, and getting to know our way around Price. Despite our delays including Garret getting car sick we ended up making the 6 hour trip in 10 hours.


Friday

We hung out and did a little shopping. After Aaron's little ride that morning he went got ready and went to his parents hotel so that he could ride up to Salt Lake with his family for the session that night with his brother. Collin is leaving in about 3 weeks for his mission, and is going to Spain. I didn't feel like I would be able to get around on crutches in a live session very well so I stayed in Provo, and helped watch Malia and Kody. Despite a little accident with Aaron's bike, we had a great night watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.


Saturday

My Mom said that she would keep the kids so that my sister in-laws and I would not have to worry about the kids and then we could get them after the start, and she would feed them and get them dressed. So we took off and watched the guys start of the ULCER. Aaron, Gary, Jared and Jordan are riding in a race in September that is called the LOTOJA and they wanted to have a big ride together before the one in September. The ULCER was a 111 miles around the Utah Lake. So here are some pictures are of the guys throughout the race.


This is before the race started




This is the Start


These are some pictures during the Race


The picture below in the left is one my sister in-law Laura took of my other sister in-law Che' and I sitting out in the middle of no where on the back side of the lake while waiting for the guys, I thought that it was funny. ( by the way my foot is broken, I broke my talus and heel bones and can't walk for at least the next 8 weeks, but as long as 12.)
I love the picture of Aaron waiving to the boys. I also got some beautiful pictures of the day!




Crossing the finish line
It was a ton of fun to watch the guys. They were able to keep a 22 mile/hr. pace and finish the race in about 5.3 hours total, and on the bike for only 4 hours and 50 min. The average race pace is about 15 mi/hr, so they did great. It was good for them to see what they need to do to be ready for the LOTOJA.
The kids loved watching the race as we drove around the lake to see their Dads work hard. It was cool because the guys each got a watermelon to take home.




We had a great weekend, but are glad to be home.

1 comment:

MEG said...

Of course I remember you! I'm so excited to read through your blog and catch up with what you've been up to! I think I've seen Jared a few times here in Provo over the years, but didn't know if he would have recognized me after all this time. Are you still in contact with Stephanie Law?

Anyway, thanks for writing! I'm going to go looking at your blog now!